Eric Bunch, running for the 4th in-district City Council seat spoke about his candidacy. He is currently Policy Director/Cofounder of Bike Walk KC. His four main priorities as City Council member would be: equity and inclusion; public education; neighborhood/historic preservation and affordable housing; transportation and infrastructure.
Holly Sticken is a Community Interaction Officer with KCPD. She plans to attend future VNA quarterly neighborhood meetings. In the meantime, please call or e-mail her with other questions and issues. Her contact information is in the bottom of every VNA e-mail newsletter. She shared information on the following upcoming training opportunities for Valentine residents:
- Crime Prevention for the Holiday Season. December 4th, 6:30-7:30 pm, 1200 E Linwood Blvd
- January or February 2019 – training for a neighborhood watch program; anyone interested can attend. More details to be announced later.
- Citizen Police Academy – conducted twice a year, in spring and fall. Participants can learn about the inner workings of the police department. Participants meet once a week for 11 weeks.
Chris Jordan announced updates from the Westport Planning Session, which hopes to complete and submit its Westport Plan to City Council in Spring 2019. The Plan, which covers an area that extends north to 39th St. and therefore contains portions of Valentine, contains current information on building and zoning specifications, historical building information based on the Historic KC survey of Westport, as well as recommended specifications to be applied to future development projects in the area.
- Moving forward the Valentine neighborhood newsletter will be circulated by e-mail. A print copy will no longer be delivered. Valentine residents are urged to sign up for e-mails, if they have not already, through the VNA website.
- The building housing the Writers’ Place will be closing as of December 2018. The VNA is searching for alternative meeting spaces in the area and will provide updates once more details are known.
- Porchfest will be taking place in Valentine again in 2019, with more details to come.
- The VNA has a new mailing address: P.O. Box 32201 Kansas City, MO 64171
- Holiday party – Mike Jones will host a holiday party on December 9th. Guests are asked to bring a dish to share. More details to come.
- Luminaries – At 2 pm on Christmas Eve, neighbors will gather at Drew and Bonyen’s house to fill up bags, then reconvene at dusk to set the luminaries out.